I posted some time back about Jim who is the genius behind the Niddy Noddies that I stock, I won’t go into lots of details but that again only to say that his attention to detail is perhaps even more now than before. Nothing, nothing I tell you goes unchecked.
He stopped making for a little while as he was redoing his kitchen and rightly so domestic matters came first but now he is back on top form and I collected nine new designs just yesterday.
1) The distribution of weight. So the handles are thick – that’s where the weight is so that when you move your arm back and forth it won’t ache as quickly. If you look at other Niddy Noddies, they are top and bottom heavy. That will impact on your arm
2) The middle is thick enough so your nails won’t dig into your palm.
3). The top is tapered so the wool can slide off but also slanted for a smooth slide.
4) The is a little bit of decoration or interest on each one but never where your hand will go and no grooves so dust or grime won’t get in there and on your wool.
5) The top and bottom of the Niddy Noddy can be removed but will fit back snuggly but not overly tight. The wood is smoothed into a clockwise direction so it slides easily.
6) They’re very light so that if you’re winding laceweight your arm won’t get tired as quickly.
They are wonderful, I have one of Jims Niddy Noddies and I also have a leading manufacturers which I take and let my students compare the weight of, there’s no comparison, Jims win every time.